We hear about them all the time, but what is a super botanical? A super botanical is a botanical or plant that has two or more health and skin advantages. Super botanicals can be found in a number of plants and botanicals that we can use topically as skincare or ingest for nutrition. Below are a few of Dr. Goldfaden’s favorites!
- High levels of Vitamin C
- Rich in anti-oxidants
- Anti-aging properties
- Promotes skin brightening
- Delivers radiance and flawless complexion
Where to find Gooseberry:
- Packed with health-promoting nutrients
- A natural source of vitamins B1, B2, B6, В12, А, С, K and folic acid
- Contain high levels of potassium, magnesium, calcium, manganese, antioxidants and enzymes
- Scientific research suggests that the potent antioxidant compounds found in grapes—called polyphenols—help neutralize the free radical damage caused by sunlight, pollution and smoking on your skin
- Grape seeds and their oil, grape skin, and grape juice all contain different types of active polyphenols such as resveratrol, phenolic acids, anthocyanins, and flavonoids
- Grape polyphenols have outstanding antioxidant power, help reinforce microcirculation, and protect your collagen and elastin fibers from breaking down
- Polyphenols act as a potent inhibitor of enzymes and pro-inflammatory factors that can damage your skin and hasten the outward signs of aging
Where to find grape seed oil:
- Contains high levels of riboﬂavin which provides elasticity to the skin
- Works to tone the skin and prevent the appearance of wrinkles and ﬁne lines
- A flowering plant in amaranth family
- Edible seeds
- Essential fatty acids which contribute to hydration
- Contains proteins and amino acids
Where to find Quinoa:
White Birds of Paradise
- Increases the appearance of skin luminosity
- Improves hydration and smoothness
- A native South African plant
- In South Africa it is commonly called the crane flower and is featured on the back of the 50 cent coin
- Helps with the appearance of uneven skin darkness/ dark spots and dull complexion
Where to find Birds of Paradise:
Highest percentage is in Plant profusion Supreme Serum. The entire Plant Profusion collection utilizes Birds of Paradise.
“One of the best health-promoting ingredients I’ve found to help revitalize and rejuvenate the skin. As a matter of fact, most of our products contain a concentrated red tea extract as part of their formula. That may give you an idea of how indispensable I believe this substance is for its ability to regenerate new skin cells, fight the visible signs of aging, and provide potent free radical protection.” Dr. Goldfaden
- Red tea ( Rooibos) is made from the oxidized and dried leaves of the Aspalathis linearis plant that only grows in one spot on Earth— a tiny, mountainous region of South Africa in Western Cape Province.
- For centuries the native South African tribes have used this natural remedy to alleviate ailments ranging from infantile colic and allergies to asthma and skin problems.
- The most important therapeutic aspect of red tea is undoubtedly its powerful antioxidant capacity.
- Red tea contains some of the most potent natural antioxidants known for protecting your skin from the free radical damage that can cause aging. **vitamins C, E and beta-carotene.
- Red tea is known to possess 50 times the antioxidant capacity of green tea due to a high concentration of a special enzyme called superoxide dismutase.
- Red tea also contains potent polyphenols and flavonoids that help heal and rejuvenate the skin.
- Red tea helps reduce the appearance of fine lines, acne scars, and dark spots.
Where to find Red Tea: