We all get the odd craving for sweet things – or perhaps maybe yours strikes a little more frequently. It can be really difficult to put down a pint of Ben & Jerry’s once you scoop out a serving, so instead, try this healthier version made with frozen bananas. There’s also matcha in the mix for a powerful hit of antioxidants and lasting energy – and that’s better than any temporary sugar high!
Vegan Banana Walnut Matcha Ice Cream
Prep Time: 5 mins + freezing
Cook Time: 0 mins
- 1 scoop French vanilla Vega One or vanilla Vega Performance Protein (or your favourite plant-based protein powder)
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 2 large ripe peeled bananas, chopped (see note)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- Combine all ingredients except for the walnut pieces in a Vitamix (or other high-speed blender) or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- (Note: If using frozen bananas, you can skip the freezing step ahead and enjoy the ice cream as soft serve. If using non-frozen, you’ll want to freeze or else the mixture will have a smoothie-like consistency.)
- Pour the banana mixture into a freezer-safe container.
- Stir in the walnut pieces and close the container with a lid.
- Freeze the ice cream for around 3 hours. If you need to freeze it for longer, simply leave the container out on the counter for about 15 minutes to defrost slightly.
- Scoop into bowls, top with additional walnuts if desired and enjoy!
Angela is an avid runner, fitness instructor, foodie, healthy living blogger, and health coach. Having been overweight, unhappy and insecure as a teenager, Angela took control, changed her unhealthy habits, and adopted a clean eating lifestyle that she continues to maintain today. Her goal is to support, inspire, and motivate others to improve their health and be their best. You can learn more about her on her blog, Eat-Spin-Run-Repeat.com.