Written by Angela of Eat Spin Run Repeat
Add some colour to your summer patio parties with this healthy appetizer!
Patio season is here, and along with that comes plenty of opportunities to dine al fresco. I don’t know about you, but I love entertaining and creating a menu is my favourite part of the preparation process. Since it’s summer, I tend to choose dishes that use plenty of fresh produce and are full of colour. Case in point:
These shrimp cocktails are really easy to throw together, only require about 15 minutes of prep. Serve them in small cocktail glasses, or in a larger bowl that guests can dip into with nachos. Enjoy!
Pico de Gallo Shrimp Cocktails
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 4 mins
Makes: 6 appetizer-sized servings
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tsp grated or finely minced ginger
- 12 large raw shrimp, tails removed
- 1/3 cup lime juice, divided
- 1 cup seeded, diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup diced avocado
- 1 cup mixed sweet bell peppers
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 small jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and very finely minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- a few pinches of dried chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro, plus more to garnish
- In a small non-stick skillet, heat the garlic, ginger and half of the lime juice for 1 minute on high. Add the shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until completely opaque. Remove from heat.
- Chop all vegetables and combine in a bowl with the remaining lime juice, cumin, chili flakes, and cilantro. Toss to coat.
- When the shrimp are cool enough to touch, chop them into small pieces. Mix into the bowl. Allow it to sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.
- Divide the mixture evenly between cocktail cups and serve garnished with additional cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
Angela is an avid runner, fitness instructor, foodie, healthy living blogger, and owner of her business, Spin 360 Health Coaching. Having been overweight, unhappy and insecure as a teenager, Angela took control, changed her unhealthy habits, and adopted a clean eating lifestyle that she continues to maintain today. Her goal is to support, inspire, and motivate others to improve their health and be their best. You can learn more about her on her blog, Eat-Spin-Run-Repeat.com.