A simple healthy dessert: Grilled Peaches with Greek Yogurt and Balsamic Drizzle
You’ve likely been grilling all sorts of meals, from burgers to veggie skewers on your barbecue this summer, but have you tried grilled fruit? Not only does the flame caramelize the natural sugars (therefore making it taste sweeter), but the grill also produces an amazing smoky flavour that works perfectly with the peaches in this healthy dessert recipe. And if you can’t find any ripe peaches, try nectarines, pineapple or plums – all of which make fantastic substitutes.
Grilled Peaches with Greek Yogurt and Balsamic Drizzle
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
• 2 free-stone peaches, halved and pitted
• 1 cup fat-free plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• mint leaves, to garnish
• Oil the grill and preheat it to medium.
• Mix the Greek yogurt with cinnamon. Divide it between 2 bowls.
• Slice peaches in half, twisting them apart so that one side contains the pit and the other does not. (You’re going to be using the non-pit sides, but you can still grill the other halves once the pit is out if you like!)
• Place the peaches, flesh side down, on the grill when it is hot.
• Allow peaches to cook for about 3 minutes. Gently flip and cook the rounded sides for 2 minutes. Remove and transfer to a plate.
• In a small saucepan, heat balsamic vinegar until it reduces by about half its original volume. Transfer it to a measuring cup with a spout or another container that will make pouring easy. (If you have a high quality dark balsamic that is already very thick, you can skip this step).
• Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the peaches and yogurt, and garnish with a mint leaf. Serve immediately.
Angela is an avid runner, fitness instructor, foodie, healthy living blogger, and health coach. Having been overweight, unhappy and insecure as a teenager, Angela took control, changed her unhealthy habits, and adopted a clean eating lifestyle that she continues to maintain today. Her goal is to support, inspire, and motivate others to improve their health and be their best. You can learn more about her on her blog, Eat-Spin-Run-Repeat.com.